Parish Ferries

Foot Ferry
Taft to Norco foot ferry. (Photo courtesy of Bryan Zeringue)

Foot ferries were also a popular mode of travel on the river and bayous. In 1887 parish officials decided the ferry system landing fees should be studied.

In the past, travelers were at the mercy of having to pay fair and “not so fair” fees to whomever provided landings.

Competition at other landings was irrelevant as traveling up or down the River Road to get to the next landing was, at times, very difficult.

After several years of allowing ferry service without parish jurisdiction, it was determined that ferry privileges throughout the parish would be implemented with parish oversight.

Bayou Des Allemands Foot Ferry
Bayou Des Allemands foot ferry. (Photo courtesy of Pat Yoes)
List of Parish Ferry Landings
There were seven German Coast ferry landings in 1883 as this October 13 St. Charles Herald indicates. Similar notices appeared frequently in The Herald. The Mississippi River remained a major corridor for travelers during the eighteenth century. During the 19th Century, the dirt roadways were still, at times, impassable due to rainstorms and crevasses, and the river remained a primary “highway.”

This text is copyright © material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.

Related Images

Click the images for caption information.
See all 15 images related to this topic.

Related Articles