Home Place

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Many believe that Charles, the same free mulatto who built de Logny’s plantation (Destrehan), also built Home Place Plantation in present-day Hahnville in about 1791 for Pierre Gaillard.

The Fortier family contends Home Place was built by their family after receiving a Spanish land grant. The ground floors still have imported Italian marble. As with many other plantations, indigenous material such as birch and cypress were used in construction of the house.

It is described as a French Colonial raised cottage, is a National Historic Landmark, and is listed on the National Register. It is presently owned by descendants of the Keller family and others.

Home Place Plantation
Home Place Plantation, River Road, Hahnville was built in 1790. (Courtesy of Gene Yoes)

Valcour Aime was born at Home Place Plantation in 1798 on the First German Coast to Francois Aime and Marie Felicite Julie Fortier Aime.

This text is © copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.

Related Images

Click the images for caption information.
See all 6 images related to this topic.

Related Magazine Articles

From "River Parish Focus Magazine." Click the image to read the article.