Historical Markers

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Les Allemands Historical Marker - Image
Site of first German settlement in St. Charles. Located in Killona on La. 18 (River Road) at the St. Charles/St. John boundary line. German immigrants led by Karl Darensbourg in 1722 joined other settlers on Law’s concession in the Villages of Hoffen, Augsburg, and Mariental. The chapel was erected by 1724. These industrious German farmers saved New Orleans from famine. (Erected by German-Acadian Coast Historical & Genealogical Society)
Bustard’s Cove Historical Marker - Image
First east bank settlement site. Located in New Sarpy on La. 48 (River Road). Bustard’s Cove Historical Marker. Bustard’s Cove was the site of the first east bank settlement near present-day New Sarpy at the confluence of the Mississippi River and Bayou LeSeur.
Little Red Church Historical Marker - Image
Famous Mississippi River landmark. Located in Destrehan on La. 48 (River Road). First constructed of logs about 1740. Burned and rebuilt in 1806. Famous riverboat landmark, twenty-five miles from New Orleans where boat captains traditionally paid off their crew. Again burned and rebuilt about 1921. (Note: New white stucco Spanish mission-style church was built in 1921 and the 1806 wooden church was torn down later. Oldest German cemetery in the South. Church, cemetery, and school complex built on the original 1770 Spanish land grant.) (Erected by Louisiana Department of Commerce and Industry in 1964.)
Destrehan Manor House Historical Marker - Image
Originally constructed for Robert de Logny. Located in Destrehan on La. 48 (River Road). Constructed in 1789–90 for Robert de Logny. Inherited by Jean Noel d’Estrehan in 1800. Bought from heirs of Pierre A. Rost in 1914 by Mexican Petroleum Company. Donated in 1972 to River Road Historical Society by American Oil Company. (Note: Purchased by Jean-Nöel Destrehan from deLogny estate. Site of Rost Home Colony following Civil War. Named by River Road Historical Society for Louisiana Statesman Jean-Nöel Destrehan.) (Erected by St. Charles Parish Police Jury and St. Charles Bicentennial Committee in cooperation with Louisiana Tourist Division of the Department of Commerce.)
Home Place Historical Marker - Image
Located in Hahnville on La. 18 (River Road). Built in the 1790s, this French Colonial raised cottage is of West Indies bousillage construction. Owners included LaBranche, Fortier, and Gaillaire, with the Keller family ownership since 1885. (Note: A National Historic Landmark and is listed on National Register of Historic Places.) (Erected by St. Charles Parish Police Jury and St. Charles Bicentennial Committee in 1975 in cooperation with Louisiana Tourist Division of Department of Commerce.)
LaBranche Plantation Dependency Historical Marker - Image
Only remaining building from the original plantation. Located in St. Rose on La. 48 (River Road). This late 18th and early 19th Century Creole house is of statewide significance because of its exceptional Federal woodwork and its rarity as a plantation dependency. Listed on National Register of Historical Places.
Skirmish of Boutte Station Historical Marker - Image
Civil War site. Located in Boutte on US/LA 90. Union train with 60 men ambushed by Confederate force of Louisiana militia and volunteers on September 4, 1862. Train escaped to New Orleans. Fourteen Union soldiers killed and twenty-two wounded in the skirmish. (Erected by St. Charles Parish Police Jury and St. Charles Bicentennial Committee.)
Fashion Plantation Historical Marker - Image
Located in Hahnville on La. 18 (River Road). Home of General Richard Taylor, son of Zachary Taylor, Louisiana statesman and member of 1861 Secession Convention. Commanded Louisiana District, 1862–64; defeated Banks at Battle of Mansfield, 1864. Federals plundered home in 1862. (Erected by Louisiana Department of Commerce and Industry in 1961.) (Marker missing in 2010)
Battle of Des Allemands Historical Marker - Image
Site of Civil War battles. Located in Des Allemands on US/LA 90. Le district des Allemands, settled by Germans about 1720, the scene of numerous skirmishes between Confederate guerillas and Union forces, 1862–63. Most famous skirmish resulted in capture of an entire detachment of Union soldiers on September 4, 1862.
Flaggville Historical Marker - Image
Letter left at this site by Tonti for LaSalle. Located in Hahnville on La. 18 (River Road)Flaggville Historical Marker.

*Notes following historical marker information reflect supplemental or corrected information pertinent to the site. Historical markers were manufactured by Sewah Studios in Marietta, Ohio.