Education Expansion

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

In 1930, during the tenure of Superintendent J. B. Martin, the passage of a bond election provided the funds to build or expand public schools across the parish.

Allemands Elementary School
Allemands Elementary School, 1931–74. (Photo courtesy of Mrs. Stanley Dufrene)
Norco Primary School
Norco Primary School on Apple Street, circa 1930s. Were these students awaiting the arrival of Franklin D. Roosevelt on his way to the spillway in 1937? Perhaps the WWL station wagon was there for the same reason. This photo remains a mystery.
J. B. Martin
J. B. Martin, superintendent of St. Charles Parish Public Schools from 1913 to 1944, is called “the Father of St. Charles Parish Schools.” Martin was born in 1881 and was the great-grandson of Jean Baptiste LaBranche. He attended local schools but finished high school in New Orleans and graduated from Louisiana State University. It has been said that many of the great advances made in education in St. Charles Parish can be attributed to the determination and conscientious work of its first professional superintendent, J. B. Martin. J. B. Martin Middle School in Paradis is named in his honor. (Source: Times Picayune newspaper)
Raymond K. Smith
Raymond K. Smith, teacher, principal, supervisor of colored schools, and assistant superintendent of schools, was keenly aware of the value of education and did all he could to see that the students under his care had what was necessary for them to succeed. For his contribution to education, the Raymond K. Smith Middle School in Luling opened in 2006 and was dedicated in his honor.
Albert Cammon
Mr. Albert Cammon was a hero in the battle for fair education for all. Although not an educator himself, he nonetheless promoted education as a valuable commodity. His efforts brought about the opening of a high school for black students on the east bank, Bethune High School. Albert Cammon Middle School in St. Rose was named in his honor. The painting shown hangs in the school. (The artist is unknown; used with the school’s permission.)
Allemands Elementary
Pictured in 1924, Allemands Elementary was moved down the bayou and back up to Des Allemands. It was later converted to an American Legion Home. (Photo courtesy of Mrs. Stanley Dufrene)
The Fashion School
The Fashion School in Hahnville. (Photo courtesy of Patrick Yoes)
The Good Hope School
The Good Hope School was one of nine opened following the 1930 bond election.
Gloria Robottom Cureau
Gloria Robottom Cureau, pictured in 1939, was the principal of Hahnville Colored School and the daughter of Henry Robottom, whose family ran the first mortuary in St. Charles Parish. She was one of several people selected by J. B. Martin to assist in the development of a school system. She was a devout Catholic but attended schools in black Protestant churches until the school system provided buildings. In 1939 Gloria and her brother Harry Robottom headed Hahnville
Colored School.
Eual J. “Teeny” Landry, Sr.
Eual J. “Teeny” Landry, Sr., teacher and principal at Hahnville High School, was recognized as an innovator who produced positive results and advancements in education during his forty-five years of service . His use of motion pictures as teaching tools was considered progressive and ahead of its time. He served in the military in World War II, was elected parish delegate for the 1974 Louisiana Constitutional Convention, appointed a member of the 1976 Home Rule Charter Commission, and appointed a member of the St. Charles Parish Police Jury for several years. Eual J. Landry, Sr. Middle School in Hahnville was named to honor his achievements. (Source: Times Picayune newspaper)
Ethel Schoeffner
Ethel Schoeffner, teacher and principal at St. Charles Parish Public Schools from 1917 to 1965, set the standard for exemplary primary schools. She cared for her students on both a professional and personal level. Her years of outstanding service were acknowledged by the naming of an elementary school in her honor. She was the first female educator so recognized.
Harry Madison “Prof” Hurst
Harry Madison “Prof” Hurst arrived at Destrehan High in 1930 and remained for 36 years. He served as a teacher and coach before being appointed principal. Mr. Hurst is remembered as a quiet, dignified gentleman. A school named in his honor, Harry M. Hurst Middle School, is located on the site of the original Destrehan High School—his workplace and his home for so many years.
Ama School Students
Ama School students prepare to raise the flag, circa 1940s. (Photo courtesy of Ernestine Kappel)
School Stage Curtain
A school stage curtain, circa 1940s, reflects community business and industry support for education through the purchase of advertisements.
St. Charles Parish in Song
St. Charles Parish in song, from Ralph D. St. Ament’s student notebook, 1939.
St. Charles Parish in Song
St. Charles Parish in song, from Ralph D. St. Ament’s student notebook, 1939.

This text is copyright © material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.

Related Images

Click the images for caption information.

See all 32 images related to this topic.