1826 Courthouse

The parish seat of government has probably been at its same location in Hahnville since the establishment of the first courthouse in the early 1800s, although no written or pictorial information on that first location has yet been discovered or translated. An 1826 picture of what is believed to be the second courthouse does exist. Early maps and records only refer to the area as Saint Charles or Courthouse.

1826 Courthouse
The St. Charles Parish Courthouse in 1826.

This text is copyright © material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.

Related Images

Click the images for caption information.
See all 14 images related to this topic.

Related Articles