Bustard’s Cove – L’Anse aux Outardes

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Bustard’s Cove Historical Marker
Bustard’s Cove Historical Marker. Bustard’s Cove was the site of the first east bank settlement near present-day New Sarpy at the confluence of the Mississippi River and Bayou LeSeur.

In 1722, hurricanes devastated the German Coast and many Germans considered leaving. In order to prevent this exodus, Governor Bienville conceded lands to the Germans on both sides of the river. Later that year and in 1723, a few of the French and German concessionaires moved across the Mississippi River and established the first east bank settlement at a site near the confluence of several waterways connecting the river and Lake Pontchartrain. This area was already known as Bustard’s Cove or L’Anse aux Outardes.

This text is © copyright material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.

Related Images

Click the images for caption information.

Related Articles