The Bethlehem Benevolent Society was incorporated in 1881. It was an example of one of the many benevolent societies for St. Charles Parish Negroes. These fraternal organizations provided medicine, paid doctor bills, purchased food and apparel for those in need, and helped to bury their dead. Each society purchased enough property to accommodate a hall and a cemetery.
The property for the Bethlehem Society was purchased in 1900 from O. J. Flagg in Hahnville (formerly Flaggville).
Other groups were St. Mary Society of Luling, the Swampers of Boutte, and the Elizabeth Tabernacle Society of St. Rose. The halls were used for schools, meetings, church gatherings, suppers, weddings, and receptions.
This text is copyright © material by Marilyn Richoux, Joan Becnel and Suzanne Friloux, from St. Charles Parish, Louisiana: A Pictorial History, 2010.